Welcome to Tri-Cities Central, a twice-weekly newsletter highlighting local happenings in Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles and surrounding communities.
Get yours: subscribe here. Refer a friend: share this link.

A limestone house in downtown St. Charles that came close to being torn down for parking has now earned official landmark protection.
The St. Charles City Council approved the designation Monday for the Judge William D. Barry House at 217 Cedar Avenue, closing out a lengthy saga that started with a demolition dispute and ended with a preservation deal.
Here's what to know:
A reversal from demolition: Baker Memorial United Methodist Church, which owned the property, initially asked the city for permission to knock the house down and turn the lot into additional parking. The council rejected that request, and city officials instead began working on a plan to keep the building standing.
A sale and restoration deal: A local developer agreed to buy the Barry House and an adjacent property from the church for $525,000, then use $125,000 from the city to help fund the restoration.
The church still gets parking: As part of the broader agreement, the city committed to building at least 10 angled parking spaces near the church using $250,000 in TIF funds.
The house has deep roots. Built in 1843 by Judge William D. Barry, the home predates the Civil War by nearly two decades. Barry served as Kane County judge for a decade (in two separate terms) while building a reputation as a prominent defense attorney.
The home later had several more owners with ties to St. Charles culture and politics, including Edith Kohlert, a longtime aide to two former mayors who hosted campaign gatherings there in the mid-1900s. Read more about its history.
The house is currently being renovated, with a full rehabilitation expected to be completed in May 2027.
📖 Thanks for reading
Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with questions or comments.
Not signed up yet? Subscribe here.
